Premio Tomas Arejola para sa Literaturang Bikolnon
RULES of the CONTEST
- Open to all Bicolano writers writing in any of the Bikol languages. There shall be no discrimination on the basis of age, gender or religion. Contestants under 18 years of age are, however, required to submit a certificate of parental consent.
- The 2007 Premio is open in the poetry, fiction, essay, drama and the novel categories.
- Entries in poetry must consist of at least 10 poems but not more than 15 poems.
- Entries in fiction should be at least 7 pages in length but should not exceed 9 pages. Entries in the children’s fiction should be at least 5 pages in length but should not exceed 8 pages. Entries with a plot and narrative suitable for an illustrated storybook of at least 30 pages are preferred.
- Entries in the one-act play must be of sufficient length to approximate a performing time of at least thirty minutes. Full-length plays should have a performing time of at least an hour and a half. Entries in the play categories may be intended for children and/or adults. Plays for children, however, should be directed principally to promote Bicolano values and traditions in the grade school level, ages 7 to 12.
- In the essay category, entries should be at least 5 pages in length but should not exceed 8 pages.
- Entries in the novel may deal with any subject, provided it is tackling issues relevant to Bikol realities.
- Only new and unpublished works are acceptable. A work that has been awarded a prize in another contest is not qualified for the awards.
- Entries should be written originally in Bikol and not a translation of a work written in another language. The works must show literary merit and social significance.
- Contestants may join in all categories but can submit only one entry per category.
- All entries must be submitted in four copies, double spaced on 8 1/2 X 11 inches bond paper with one inch margin on all sides and the page number typed consecutively, e.g., 1 of 8, 2 of 8 and so on. Font must be Arial and font size must be 12. Entry must be submitted with pseudonym only and not the author’s real name. Author’s name and pseudonym must be submitted in a separate sealed envelope together with a bio-data containing the author’s literary background, an ID picture, and contact information. A notarized declaration of originality and authenticity of authorship must accompany the entry.
- Entries must be addressed to the Premio Tomas Arejola para sa Literaturang Bikolnon 2007 at the above address not later than July 31, 2007. Entries sent by mail or courier must be postmarked /invoiced not later than July 16, 2007.
Entries submitted via e-mail must be a Word Document file and sent as an attachment together with the contestant’s bio-data containing his/her literary background and a notarized certification or authenticity of authorship of the entry. The original copy of notarized certification and ID picture must then be sent to 2007 PTALB thru mail. Entries submitted via e-mail must be submitted not later than July 31, 2007.
- Failure to comply with any of the requirements shall result in disqualification from the awards.
- Copies of winning entries shall remain with and become property of the Premio. Copyright of the works remain with the author but the latter grants, assigns and transfers into PTALB the right without necessity of any payment other than the prize which may have been awarded to publish the winning entry or portion thereof as it may at its discretion.
- The Premio has the right of action against the author if it may later on discovered that the contestant is not the creator or owner of the copyright to the winning work. The Premio shall not be liable to any court action if a third party files a case against the winner and/or contestant who plagiarized the work of the said third party.
- Finalists from each category shall each receive the Premio Tomas Arejola Diploma of Merit. A top winner will be chosen from among the finalists who shall then receive the Premio Tomas Arejola medallion and P2, 500 cash prize. All of the said category winners is eligible for the Grand Prize, the winner of which shall receive the cash prize of P10, 000 and will be named Parasurat kan Taon (Writer of the Year). The winners shall be responsible for the payment of government taxes.
- Names of the finalists will be announced in local weeklies and radio stations around mid-August 2007.
- The Board of Judges shall have the discretion not to award any prize, if in its judgement, no meritorious entry had been submitted.
- The Premio has the sole right to designate the persons who shall constitute the Board of Judges. The decision of the majority of the Board shall be final.
- The names of the winners and members of the Board of Judges shall be announced on or before Sept 18, 2007, Tomas Arejola’s 142nd birth anniversary, in a gala awarding ceremonies in Naga City.
- Send your entries to "Pang-Apat na Premio Tomas Arejola para sa Literaturang Bikolnon, The Arejola Foundation for Social Responsibility, c/o Museo de Caceres, Elias Angeles St. Naga City, Philippines" or email PTALB through PremioTomasArejola@gmail.com.